Isabella is becoming such a big girl! She is actually 2 years and 5 months today! We've been trying potty training off and on for the past month. I admit, I haven't been consistent. Two weeks ago she really showed us that she knew what she was doing, she kept herself dry and clean for over 7 hours. Then the next day she got sick and a few days after that I went to Dallas for a few days - we were all messed up. So Monday Anthony and I had a talk - we decided that she knew enough of what she was doing, we were just going to decide for her - NO MORE DIAPERS.
This is similar to the approach we have taken with every transition in her life, just go for it. At 11 months I simply took the bottles away, washed them all and boxed them up - they weren't an option any more she had to drink from a cup. And she did. At 13 months we took away the binkie, cold turkey - it took 2 days but then it was as if the thing never existed. The big one was at 17 months, we took away her crib. We were moving so we just decided to put up a twin size bed and leave the crib unassembled in the garage until the baby arrived. The first night she fell out of bed, but since then she's done great and we (knock on wood) haven't had the problems most have with kids climbing in and out. Isabella waits in her bed for me to come and get her out, even now and it has been almost a year.
So Tuesday morning I did it. I put her in panties first thing. Within 20 minutes we had an accident and I feared it would be a long day. But she made it to lunch without anymore so things were looking up. I put her in a diaper for her nap and hoped she'd wake up with it dry, and to my delight she did. Not only that but about 10 minutes after getting up she went in the toilet. I worried about play group though. Tuesday afternoons about 7 of her friends come over with their mommies and we have a play group. I didn't know how self conscious she would feel being in her panties around friends. I worried that if she had an accident it would be very embarrassing to her. But I had vowed not to put her back in diapers for anything but sleep. And she did it! She went #1 twice while her play group was here! I was so proud of her.
Today we've had 1 accident, it was a #2. I wasn't in the room when she did it and I think that had I been there I could have stopped her and gotten her to the toilet. We'll work on that. The big accomplishment today is that I took her out shopping. I did put a pull up on her for that just in case so it wouldn't be so embarrassing for her if she messed, but she did great! We picked up my mom to go with us and when we did I took Isabella inside quickly to go, and she did. Then at the first store I took her to the bathroom and her pull up was dry but she didn't need to go. Then at the second store the same thing happened, dry pull up but didn't go. She had alot to drink at the second store so I was worried but when we got to the car I just reminded her to keep her panties dry until we got home and she did! As soon as we got home she went in and went again! She's taking a nap now in her pull ups, but will be in panties as soon as she gets up. I know she's starting to understand the sensations b/c yesterday she would start to go just a little, stop herself and then run down the hall to the bathroom holding herself until she got there.
I know this is alot of potty talk - but it is exciting! She's catching on! And from now on, other than pull ups for naps and night time I am not buying 2 sets of diapers every month! My little Bella is growing up! So I am sorry if I grossed any of you out by discussing it so much but...I am just a bit proud and excited (and sad at the same time).
Have a good week, I promise no potty talk next week.
~jen

4 comments:
I think that is great news. That will be wonderful to only have to pay for diapers for one baby.
Hooray! What a huge accomplishment! It definately makes life a little easier.
How did it go??? Is she done??? I read your post and decided that my three year old had to get out of diapers and so I did it too. It is so nice. Thanks for pushing me... and Mackenzie.
Basically she's done. She just had her first accident in 3 days, so I'd say she's pretty well potty trained. She still isn't 100% on telling us, we still have to ask her and take her, but it is coming. She did great when we went to church, no problems, and I took her out on errands yesterday for about 3 hours and we had no problems then either. It is so nice!
Post a Comment