Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Wizard of Oz


Since I was about Isabella's age I have had a love for the movie THE WIZARD OF OZ. I loved everything about it - and for that matter, I still do! The characters, the themes, the music, the imaginative aspect of it all. I always wanted to be Dorothy, especially after seeing a high school musical production of the show. I remember going to bed that night dreaming of the day I might get to be Dorothy on stage and sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." (which to this day remains my all time favorite song.)

Well, truth be told that Dorothy moment never came for me. But this past February I was getting Isabella ready for church and decided to try a new hair style. Two braids down each side of her neck resting on her shoulders. While it isn't the exact Dorothy-do, it looked quite similar and I realized - Isabella would make a PERFECT Dorothy.

I was so excited about it, I started thinking Halloween. I know what you're thinking - HALLOWEEN IN FEBRUARY?! Yes, its true, but if you know me well, you know I plan ahead, way ahead! So I told my sister that I might need her to sew me a Dorothy costume for Isabella. She said she would, but them remembered that a friend of ours had bought a great Dorothy costume the previous year and was certain she'd be willing to let us borrow it.

To make an already long blog a bit shorter - she did and it now hangs in my entry closet just waiting of October 31st.

But because of my love of Dorothy I couldn't resist a few "fittings" before the big day - still 3 months away. The costume is still a bit big, but I think she looks adorable in it. We'll make a few adjustments closer to holiday if it is still needed.

Okay, on to the funny part. So last Tuesday evening I decided to show her who this Dorothy person I kept talking about was. My mother-in-law had given me the movie for my birthday and I was looking for a reason to pull it out. (Anthony doesn't appreciate the movie like I do) So Bella and I sat down to watch it. I fully expected it to not even last through the black and white part, but to my surprise she LOVED it! She watched with great excitement EVERY single moment of that movie, and nothing scared her.

Ever since then it has become an obsession. Each day starts with her asking to watch "Mommy's show." Then later in the day when she's not watching it she'll come up to me and say, "Mommy, there's no place like home!" And just today while Isabella and Natalie were playing I heard her say, "Natalie, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!" She also worries throughout the day where Toto is, if you watch the show with her you become acutely aware of the fact that Toto is not always on the screen with Dorothy, but as I always reminds her - he's a good dog, he always comes back.

Oh, but these aren't the end of the Oz references. This past Sunday she gave each one of us a character. She, of course, has always been Dorothy. In fact when watching the movie she refers to Dorothy as "me." She'll say, "Where'd me go!" or "Oh no! Me!" And she even knows that her name is Dorothy Gail. Natalie has become Toto, her trusty side kick (who always returns), and Daddy alternates between the Lion and the Scarecrow. But mommy - you're thinking Glinda right?! - mommy is the green witch!

What!

I'm the witch?! I try to convince her that I'm not the witch that I am Glinda, but she says (with annoyance in her voice), "No mommy! You're the witch!" There is no arguing with her. So maybe , just maybe, this Halloween mommy should get a black dress and cape, a broom stick and some green paint and be the Wicked Witch!

A great week to all of you from us here in the merry old land of Oz!

~jen

No comments: