Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2007 Project #1: Take back control of my house!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was beginning to feel over run by toys. With Isabella's birthday AND Christmas it just seemed that toys were bursting out of every nook and cranny in this house. There wasn't a place for everything, and in the past 3-4 days I had just given up the notion of cleaning up toys before bed time because there was no where to put them all. This has resulted in a few late night and early morning foot injuries.

I told myself that once the tree was down and Christmas was put away I would find a place for everything and possibly get rid of a few more toys. (I do clean out toys each year around birthdays and Christmas to make room for new toys, but it seems this year it just didn't cut it.) I don't like clutter in my house, I like to be organized and like to have a system for everything in the house. I may not always be as tidy as I ought to, but there is a system to everything in the house which makes cleaning up a relatively easy task.

So I started Saturday afternoon. Anthony said I was on a rampage. I wanted Christmas decor down and I wanted it down now! I got it all put away AND in the attic in less than 2 hours. Thinking back there are probably a few things that could have been put away better so that they'd be easier to get out next year, but they're away and in the attic - I don't need to think about that until next Christmas. I was so tired after that "rampage" that I rested the rest of the day and Sunday.

The rampage begun again Monday. With a little creativity I took the bookshelf in Anthony's office (sorry hun) and turned it into the ultimate in toy storage. I did get Anthony a new bookshelf, just a cheap $30 one. I had thought of doing that for the girls but they're not as sturdy and I worried about them pulling it down on themselves. So here it is....


I am so happy with the result. It holds many more toys than I imagined. So much more that my living room is almost 100% toy free now! Its amazing. Now the true test is to see how well it functions for the girls.

Happy 2007!

~jen

2 comments:

-Laura- said...

I totally know how you feel! I did the Christmas stuff all yesterday, and now I'm considering turning our office into a playroom. Gotta love those December birthdays! The toys seem to double in a matter of weeks! We must think alike, because I have the same bookshelf in Spencer's room for toys, except it's white. Looks very nice and organized!

Malinda said...

That is a great idea. It looks very practical for little kids. Can you come to my house???