Sunday, July 15, 2007

Training Log - 10 Weeks to the Race


(from our run last week)
Monday 7/9 - Swimming

So I had my second swim lesson today. This time it was with my friend Rachel who I also ran the 5k with. She's very easy to work with because she is very patient and very encouraging. I feel like I came away with a little more this time. She has a different approach than my friend Colleen had but I think I understood Rachel's approach better and I feel like I accomplished more. I have a second lesson planned with another friend, Kessa, on Friday. From talking to her she sounds like she teaches like Rachel so hopefully that will add onto what Rachel and I did today because I feel like I was catching on. Rachel moves in 4 weeks so I need to take advantage of her help as much as I can in the next 4 weeks since she is so willing. Thank goodness for friends who know what they're doing b/c I certainly would be lost w/out them.

Tuesday 7/10 - Body Sculpting Class/Run

Well, I made it up on time this morning thanks to Natalie. I probably would have made it anyway but at 4:55am she started screaming, and so that is how I started my morning. The class was hard. We did alot of muscular endurance exercises and ALOT of lunges. That being said my legs were very shaky when we ended and in my mind I was trying to convince myself to forgo the running. I did rationalize it by saying I'd go running outside tonight after the girls go to bed BUT not only would that allow time for the soreness to kick in, it was raining outside and there is a 60% chance of it continuing all day. So, I pushed through and did my run as well.

Why does it have to be a test of endurance and will during the exercise but feel so rewarding afterwards?

It would work much better for me if it was rewarding during as well.

Wednesday 7/11 - Cycling & Abs Class

I think cycling class is my LEAST favorite class. Well, actually I know it is. It is a tough class. Thankfully you're not standing up on your bike all during a triathlon. In fact, the book I've been reading says specifically not to stand during the race. But the cycling class definitely pushes you to your limits so I consider it a good train for the race. For today though, I'm just glad that it is over.

Thursday 7/12 - Run

I'm telling you, sometimes the hardest thing about my workouts is the time that I do them. When my alarm went off at 5am this morning I seriously debated just staying in bed. Even when I finally pulled myself out of bed at 5:14am I was trying to talk myself out of going all the way until I got into the YMCA parking lot. I knew I didn't have the energy to do both a run and the typical class that I do, but I found out there would be alot of running mixed in with the weight training today in class so I opted for the class instead of a straight run b/c last week I didn't feel like I got in enough weight training. So, despite my lethargic start this morning, I completed my work out and am glad that I did.

Friday 7/13 - Swimming

For some reason I get nervous the morning of a swim practice. I was really nervous this morning. I think I'm most nervous about making a fool of myself infront of my "instructor." But since all my instructors have been my friends, I really shouldn't worry about it.

Today I met Kessa at the downtown YMCA. One thing that was really nice about today is that we chose to meet at 9:30am, so I got to sleep in! My mom watched the girls so it was a nice morning for me.

I feel like I improved today. Each instructor has taught it a little differently. Kessa and Rachel were pretty similar, just some stylistic differences so I guess I just need to decide what feels right for me. BUT - I was getting the breathing better and understanding it more and more. There is still alot I need to work on and I need to get my stamina up. Those of you who are swimmers will probably laugh at this but I swim one length of the pool and I need a break. Kessa said some of that is b/c I'm wasting alot of energy on certain things which I need to work on, but I feel more optimistic today about my chances of catching on to this swimming thing. And aside from the fact that it is frustrating and I feel kind of dumb for not knowing how to do this I really enjoy being in the water and I think once I get it down swimming might just be another form of exercise that I can fit into my routine each week, even after the triathlon.

Saturday 7/14 - Biking

Unfortunately after doing so well all week I totally blew today off. I was just so tired, so I listened to my body and took a day of rest.

**So, I'll give myself a B+ this week. Maybe I don't deserve it but I need the boost to keep me going. I'll rationalize giving myself a better grade for the swimming improvement I THINK I have made. We'll see if I've really improved when I get in the pool tomorrow morning!

No comments: