Friday, August 31, 2007

Why don't princesses have toes?


Bella wants to know!

You may not believe her, BUT she says the Disney Princesses do not have toes! (at least not the older ones) I tried searching the Internet for a picture of their bare feet just for proof but every time I could think of in the movies where their feet show there either isn't a still shot, they cut off the bottom of the picture so the feet aren't visible, or the one I was sure I could find of Cinderella all the still shots are just AFTER the shoe is put on her foot - so you can't tell.


Now, I just went to watch the scene in the Cinderella movie and it is true that she appears to have no toes, HOWEVER it could be an angle issue because if she turns her foot ever so slightly a small line appears that could separate the the big toe from the rest. But, that doesn't matter really because Isabella believes the princesses to be toe-less.

This is very perplexing for a 3.75 year old. In her mind she wonders, "If princesses don't have toes why do I have toes? Could this be what makes them princesses?" She has no declared that she does not want toes and wants to know how to remove them. Um...surgery?

I tried to explain to her that toes can be very hard to draw. But this is hard to explain when she doesn't even understand that they aren't real but instead animated characters. To her, they're real people who have no toes!

Maybe the solution is to write Disney and request that they make sure and give each character all the proper body parts, but it seems in the recent years they learned how to draw toes. (They were very plain and obvious in Pocahontas) So do I ban her from watching Cinderella or other toe-less princess movies because of the disfigurement? Or do I start saving for toe removal surgery so she can officially become a PRINCESS.

What will she come up with next?

~jen

1 comment:

Emily said...

HILARIOUS! Hey, do Barbies have toes? I remember them being toe-less... and then my cat got a hold of my favorite Peaches and Cream Barbie doll and she was hand less too...