Friday, October 12, 2007

One Last Story to Tell

One more story about the triathlon that is! I was saving this tid-bit about it until I had this picture to post. These are my friends Natalie, Christy and Colleen (and me of course). They are the reason that I decided to try a triathlon. They began training in January (about the time I started working out) and competed in their first Triathlon in May. Christy (#119 on her arm) placed first in her age group at her first triathlon and do you notice that Colleen is #53?! The numbers on are arms are both our identification number for the race but also our order into the water. You're placed in the water according to your swim time - so being #53 in the water means you swim a pretty fast race.

Anyway...I just had to post a thank you to these ladies. I didn't train as hard as I ought to have, I never completed all my workouts in a week and I didn't change my eating like I should have BUT they were determined (sometimes more than I was) that I was to compete and finish in the race. The week before the race when I found out I might not even get into the race they were the first I called to tell about the potential problem and the first ones I called to say I had gotten into the race.

On the morning of the race they all helped me get around and get set up and know what on earth I was supposed to be doing. Then the biggest thing of all is that when I finished the bike portion of the race because of the delayed starts in the swim they had all completed the race already and they saw me transition from biking to the run. After I had run approximately 1 mile Christy and Natalie were waiting for me on the course and began to run with me just to be sure I finished. About a mile after that we met up with Colleen who had come to find me as well and for the last mile the 3 of us ran together. As we neared the finish line they fell back and let me complete it on my own. They were a great support and really helped me believe in myself enough to even try. I am so glad that I did. And I am so glad for friends like these.

So...I think I had 2.5 challenge takers. Any more? Let me know!

~jen

2 comments:

Brianne said...

I meant to comment when you posted the challenge the first time, but apparently I forgot (I can still plead mommy-brain). John and I both want to do one, probably in the spring. John has already started running a little with his brother (he's done a few sprint tri's in Utah). I need to get going if I'm going to be ready. I keep saying I'll start when the weather cools off a bit, and now that time is finally here so no more procrastinating. I think I'm going to start bike training first because that's the easiest for me and I can do it with the kids in tow!

~Jen~ said...

YEAH!

The way the book I had set up the training was basically you did each event 2 times a week. (not nec. the whole length)