
I was very sad to hear the news last night of President Hinckley's passing. It took me a bit by surprise, although I know it shouldn't have. He was 97. I feel a great loss at his passing, and yet I know today that he is not sad. Last evening and this morning I have thought much of the times he spoke of his loneliness since his dear wife died over 3 years ago. I am sure they have now had a joyous reunion.
Gordon B. Hinckley has done so much in his life his influence will be felt by all generations to come. But I will remember him most for his kind and gentle ways. He always made things seem so simple, like achieving goals and living the Gospel. He helped us to see that a righteous life was out of no one's reach, and that we were all children of God. I will always remember him saying this - and it was in the first conference after he became the President of the Church. He said:
Gordon B. Hinckley has done so much in his life his influence will be felt by all generations to come. But I will remember him most for his kind and gentle ways. He always made things seem so simple, like achieving goals and living the Gospel. He helped us to see that a righteous life was out of no one's reach, and that we were all children of God. I will always remember him saying this - and it was in the first conference after he became the President of the Church. He said:
"Each of us can do a little better than we have been doing. We can be a little more kind. We can be a little more merciful. We can be a little more forgiving. We can put behind us our weaknesses of the past, and go forth with new energy and increased resolution to improve the world about us, in our homes, in our places of employment, in our social activities.....
May we go with determination to try a little harder to be a little better."
May we go with determination to try a little harder to be a little better."
Like I said, he made it so simple - we can do a little better than we have been doing.
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts.
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim,
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord above.
Reflects thine own great mercy Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts.
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim,
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord above.
Each Life that Touches Ours for Good
LDS Hymn book 293
Karen Lynn Davidson
LDS Hymn book 293
Karen Lynn Davidson
1 comment:
I agree with you. He was such a great man and we are all going to miss Him. I am so grateful for the plan of salvation that teaches us about eternal families and gives us hope of a brighter future.
Post a Comment