Friday, March 21, 2008

An Attempt at Being a Photographer

My sister-in-law Krystal is graduating from high school this year which I actually cannot believe. I went to her 8th birthday party about 3 months after Anthony and I began dating so seeing her graduate really makes me feel old....but I digress.

She asked me if I would do her senior portraits. I was flattered, but nervous. Photography is a hobby of mine - or at least I'd like it to be. I honestly don't know much about it except through trial and error with my little point and shoot digital camera. Krystal had to be a bit brave to go with me because we photographed in 3 separate locations one of which had me balancing on the ledge of a bridge and another included us walking down a dirty alley in search of spots and being accosted by a car with 2 men in it supposedly trying to buy the boots off her feet (we got out of there very quickly once we got rid of the guys). But we had fun. So...I thought I'd share a few of my favorites that we got this week. I realize they're in no way professional looking, but I didn't think I did half bad. (Warning, I'm sharing more than a few b/c I just can't decide.)

Day 1 - a bridge at the dead end of a road in the middle of no where.


Day 2 - in the morning we went down town in the little town that I live and walked down an alley behind all sorts of antique shops. I kept telling her - I know this looks ugly but, sit there.


Isn't this green wall fantastic?!


I told her to give me all her attitude for this shot - and I love it! This seriously was in the most ugly corner of the alley. I had to move a dirty penzoil box out of the shot.

Day 2 - continued in the afternoon at what we call "The picture park" - see post below about that.

I know this isn't the best picture, but I think there is something cool about her eyes in it. They almost pick up some of the purple in her dress.


In my preparation for this I have become more curious and committed to learning about photography. I have asked Anthony to start a camera fund for me with any present he might give me so that I can get the camera that I want, and a friend has told me about some websites and books that she used to learn the skill. I would love to learn how to really take pictures and learn how to really use natural light (any light for that matter). I hope to do some reading in the coming months and some practicing.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

They turned out GREAT!!!! I too am starting a camera fund for myself. Are you wanting to make this into a business or just a fun hobby?

If I ever get a fancy camera, I'll have to get some of those good websites and books from you so I can learn what to do too.

All of this digi-scrapping has really really made me want to take better pictures!

~Jen~ said...

Well hobby at first and maybe business depending on how good I get. I would love to do a business someday and Anthony and I have talked about me finishing a degree to be prepared should the unthinkable happen. This might just be the perfect kind of thing to do on the side for fun that could turn into something more serious should the need ever arise.

Lacey said...

Those look great! It's time to start charging. :)

Melissa said...

You did such a great job, Jen! I can really see a resemblance between Krystal and Bella...is it just me? Maddie looks so much like one of Mike's sisters and I just love that little piece of my spunky sister-in-law that I get around here (she is at BYU right now)!