Monday, May 26, 2008

Belly Update and More


I will be 32 weeks this coming Thursday. I thought it was time for a picture.

So I am starting to be more and more uncomfortable. This baby is SO much lower than either of my girls were that I am having a lot of hip pain and I have gotten to the point that rolling over in bed is quite an ordeal. But...just 7 weeks from Thursday and it will all be over.

Yep - I have a date. July 17th @ 7:15am my c-section is set. That is if I make it that far! BUT I must say that before I was hoping to go early, and now I am praying to just be on time.

Why?

Well, I blogged about Natalie's sleep study last week - so let me share results. She has advanced sleep apnea for her age. The nurse told me on a typical child's test all they need to see to confirm apnea is 1 occurrence per hour and with Natalie she had 15 per hour! It seriously scares me each night when she's sleeping now. For those of you who may not know what an apnea occurrence is, it basically means that 15 times an hour Natalie stops breathing. It makes me want to let her sleep next to me each night until her surgery! But then I know that no one would get any sleep.

The sleep doctor recommended not delaying surgery and said that it was his opinion that she should not be an outpatient but rather admitted to the hospital and observed for 24 hours after her surgery because she has increased risk of post operative complications. So, I immediately called the ENT to see if they had already received the results from the sleep doctor. They had received the results but because she is higher risk our current ENT said he couldn't provide the care she needed at the hospital he works in, so he had to refer her - which unfortunately puts back surgery a bit. I had the option of having him do Isabella's surgery or having the doctor that does Natalie's do Bella's.

Since we're not sure how quickly Natalie's surgery will get scheduled because she now has to have a consultation with a new doctor we opted to schedule Isabella's surgery with our current ENT. So June 10th she will be having her tonsils and adenoids removed. She will be outpatient, so hopefully all will go smoothly with her surgery and recovery.

Natalie's surgery date is still up in the air. Her consultation is on the 2nd of June - so I'm hoping they can move quickly to get this done. So you see, I need little Ethan to stay put until July 17th so I can get the girls surgeries done, them recovered and to all their post op visits before I even think of having my own surgery (c-section) done. I told Anthony this morning that he needs to come up with a surgery to have this summer too, or he might feel left out! (JUST KIDDING! That is the LAST thing we need!)

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I totally missed the news that Isabella had apnea too. That's scary about Natalites advanced sleep apnea. I hope that the girls recover quickly and that Ethan stays put.

Sarah said...

Oh wow, that is scary!!! I hope Natalie can get in quickly.

And I hope Ethan stays put for a bit, but how about he come on the 16th instead? That's my bday. :)

~Jen~ said...

Crystal - I don't know for sure if Bella actually does have apnea or not. I have not witnessed her having any apnea at night and she's always slept better than Natalie. However, it wouldn't be totally unlikely that she does. Her tonsils are just very large and they want to remove them. I think her tonsils are causing her some speech problems because it always sounds like she's talking with a mouthful. B/c of Natalie's age and the fact that I reported having heard what I thought was apnea they wanted to do a sleep study, Bella has not had one done.

Elly said...

Oh my goodness. Having recently survived a third trimester, I'm so feeling for you. And to have all this extra to deal with, too! So sorry. Good luck!

Ashley Canady said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that. I have never heard of it in children. Hope all goes well!

Emily said...

Gosh! Three surgeries in one month. What stress, hope everyone fares alright and that the baby stays put for a while, no need for you to be taking care of surgery patients while you are trying to take care of yourself!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! You poor crazy family! I'm so glad (and amazed) that you realized there was even a need for the sleep study! You're such an incredible and watchful mom! Good luck with everything!