Friday, August 21, 2009

Anthony + Jennifer =


The kids and I were playing outside yesterday drawing with chalks on the driveway and I decided to try a little idea I've had for a while. I can't remember where I've seen it before, but I know it wasn't an original idea, but I've typically just seen it done with 1 child. It was a bit early in the afternoon to ask the kids to look up towards the sky at me (I was standing on top of our mailbox) - notice Natalie's squinted eyes. I'm thinking about trying this again when it is more thought out. #1 - I needed to write our names smaller b/c it was difficult to fit it all in the frame. #2 - I apparently don't know how to spell my own name - notice the smudges on the 'I.' I accidentally wrote an 'F', who knows what I was thinking. #3 - I'd do it later in the day so the kids don't have a hard time looking up at me. Oh, and #4 - I would use darker chalks. See...I need to try this completely over.
Something that I have loved since doing this is that the bottom of my driveway still bares the evidence. It still says in LARGE letters "Anthony + Jennifer." So very middle school! It has reminded me of where we began...writing eachother countless notes when we should have been paying attention in high school. We still have many of those notes and it is funny to read them. I don't pull them out often, typically just when I'm organizing or searching for something, but they always make me laugh and smile.
Thinking about where we began has been a fun reminder of why we're together and thinking of this picture which shows what our relationship has resulted in...3 beautiful children...has had me thinking all day about our commitment to one another and to these awesome kids of ours. Before we had children we promised eachother that we would always make time for eachother. So tonight we're going to continue our courtship, put the kids to bed a little early, order some take out and relax with a movie.
And if you live near me and drive by my house - look for our little middle school exclamation of love. I may just keep going outside and keep the chalk fresh so that it will last forever...just like us.

1 comment:

Dave and Natalie said...

Awww...we all need a little Middle School now and then :)