Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks Installment 4



Happy Thanksgiving!

I have thought some on what I ought to write about today. There is so much I could write. So much to be thankful for, but a few Sundays ago a speaker at church read a list of thanks that make me think. While he did not write the list himself I "googled" in vain, unable to find it for myself...so I've decided to do my best to duplicate it in my own way.

1. I am thankful for the endless piles of laundry for it means my family has clothes to wear.

2. I am thankful for the dishes to wash for it means my family has food to eat.

3. I am thankful for the finger prints on the window, the walls, the doors, the tables...everywhere(!) for it means that children live here.

4. I am thankful for my husband's business trips for it means he has a job.

5. I am thankful for my rent and utility bills for they mean my family has a home to live in.

6. I am thankful to be missing my friends and family that we just moved away from for it means that we love each other.

7. I am thankful for the wet towel on the bathroom floor for it means that I have a husband. :) (and in truth mine might be right there next to his :) )

Geez...that was harder than I thought. I was having a hard time thinking negatively today. But the exercise was really a way to take the things I complain about or think badly of and realize the blessings that are in even them.
Happy Thanksgiving to all! I had better get back to the kitchen. I have never truly cooked and ENTIRE Thanksgiving dinner (aka feast) and I didn't want to do less just b/c I was the only cook in the kitchen. I've literally been cooking since 8 am yesterday. My hope is to have things to freeze after today so that I have easy meals in the coming months. That is the reason I did silly things like buy a 20lb turkey for the 5 of us, and bake 58 rolls last night! :) If it works right we'll be eating turkey dinners all "winter" (is there even winter in Florida?). But I've been having fun doing it and it has given me an extra appreciation for my own mother today who I've watched do this for so many years.
Happy Thanksgiving again, and please know, if you read this...I'm thankful for you.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Aww, you did a great job with the list. I, too, thought a lot about that way of thinking after hearing that talk in church. It's a great way to put things/problems in perspective.