
After giving her a week to get comfortable in her new surrounds we took Isabella to her first day of Kindergarten at her new school. I felt alot of the same emotions the night before her first day as I did on her very first day of Kindergarten in Oklahoma. I think I was more nervous than she was. Would kids be nice to her, would she be comfortable, would her teacher be as wonderful as the one she had in Oklahoma....my mind was racing with thoughts of everything that could go wrong and how she or those around her might handle it.
Thankfully the day went well. We didn't get many details from her (typical), but from what I saw in the few minutes I was in her classroom her teacher was very sweet, and the students seemed excited and eager to meet her.
I took these pictures of her the morning before school. She picked her outfit out herself and I thought it was perfect for her and her personality - pretty and sweet. I love this picture of her (below) because it is so sweet and thoughtful, just like she is.

To illustrate her thoughtfulness, innocence and sweetness let me share the story of today at school. After school she told me that a boy on the playground ran right into her and she thought he might have done it on purpose because he ran away laughing. She said she cried because it hurt so bad and one of her new friends from class saw her, got an adult who then sent the two of them to get an ice pack for her eye (and it was still red and swollen when I saw it a few hours later).
While discussing it she said things like, "I just don't understand why he would run into me on purpose." And when I gave her a bath tonight I asked if it was still hurting (because it was still red and swollen) and she said only when it was touched. We went over again what happened so that I could help her know what to do if it were to happen again (although she handled herself fine this time). I asked her if he was an older kid and she said, "I don't know Mom, but if he couldn't have been because if he were 6 or older he would have known better than to do that to someone."
See - so sweet and so innocent. Her main issue with the whole situation wasn't to be mad, but she couldn't understand how someone could purposely do that to someone. And yes, I did suggest to her that maybe he hadn't done it on purpose and maybe he didn't realize how hurt she was.
Isabella is doing great with the other change of all day school. I think she loves having her lunch at school and the extra time she gets to spend with her friends (Natalie is a bit lost at home though). Hopefully all continues to go well at her new school. Next week she'll start riding the bus to and from school. I think she wanted to do it today, but I want her to go to school a full week before we do that so she's used to the schedule and comfortable in the school. (I'll be a nervous wreck for the ride home...what if she gets off on the wrong stop?)
1 comment:
What a sweet girl! My favorite year in school was the year that I started at a new school 2 weeks late! Everyone else was already acquainted and eager to make a new friend. And all the boys wanted to be my "boyfriend"! (the first and ONLY time for that! Ha!) She'll do great!
Post a Comment