Friday, February 26, 2010

More Important Stuff


A week or so I posted a blog about Isabella and her jobs at school and how seriously she took them. Well, today I have another one.

This week she is the class messenger. That means she and another child take all messages to the office (or any other place) that her teacher needs. Her fellow messenger's name is Ethan (not her brother...as she always feels she needs to remind me.). She informed us on Tuesday night that her and Ethan hold hands as they walk to and from the office because the rules are that you have to stick together.

Today as we were waiting for the bus she told me that at school today she was going to have to choose a new friend to be messenger with her. When I asked her why she told me that Ethan ran in the hall for the second time yesterday, and since running is not allowed he was FIRED from his job. I asked her if another teacher had caught him running she said, "No, I told Ms. Cameron when we got back."

Uh-oh. A tattler.

I asked her if she'd told on him the day before too. She said she had, and sensing I wasn't too happy about her telling on him she justified it by saying, "But I had to. Not running is the rules and he broke them."

Then I asked her if Ethan was upset. She said he was. So I asked her if he was mad at her, to which she said, "He can't be, I only did what was right." That is when the bus came and she happily ran off to another day of school.  

Tonight we'll have to talk about tattling. I actually struggle talking to her about this because in part I am proud of her for knowing what is right and sticking to the rules. But the other side knows it is not her job to inforce those rules, and that is what she needs to understand. And really, I feel bad that Ethan had to be fired. Poor kid.

3 comments:

Dave and Natalie said...

that is too cute :) Maybe you could just tell her she could remind ethan herself. But she's right...if you can't follow the rules...(my Thomas would be that Ethan :(

Tyson and Denise said...

I love her logic. It makes perfect sense mom. LOL My Hayden and her would get along perfectly. No one would break the rules. (He would also probably like the hand holding part, he did just tell me all about his first crust...he is in 2nd grade....YIKES!!) Good luck with your family home evening. I think that is a hard concept to explain.

Tyson and Denise said...

Oops, that should say crush....