Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Patience of a Two Year Old Girl


A 2 year-old with patience, is there such thing?

Lately in our house there has been alot of emotions. Most of it coming from the 3 foot tall boss we call Isabella. It is just so unbelievable the fits she throws and the amount of time she wastes in throwing them. Most problems are remedied within moments of the first protest but once she's begun there is no stopping her. Even taking away toys and privileges doesn't work.

We have been told by many friends and family that while little patience is a trait known to all 2 year-olds, the emotional part is a female thing. Great! So just as Isabella gets out of the fits Natalie will start them! YEAH for two girls! It makes me ask - what did I put my parents through?

Let me give you an example. This morning at about 6:30am I hear Natalie start to talk. She was cooing and just sounding so sweet and cute. I let her talk for a few minutes and then got out of bed to snuggle with her. Isabella doesn't usually get up until after 7 so I didn't worry about getting her morning cup of Carnation Instant breakfast, I'd do that when I heard her wake up.

So I tip-toe into the room to get Natalie - who gave me a big grin while standing in her crib when I opened the door (she's so cute in the mornings!). And Isabella rolls over and opens her eyes. Trying to keep a scream from even starting I say, "Good morning sweetheart! Lets go to the kitchen and get your chocolate milk and Natlalie's bottle, then Cauillo will start in just a few minutes." This seemed to work for a brief moment, until we made it to the kitchen. When she saw that her milk wasn't waiting for her in the kitchen she promptly dropped to the floor and began kicking and screaming. (Trust me, I am NOT exaggerating!) The screams only got louder as I scurried to make her chocolate milk, all the while Natalie was still happy as can be in my arms.

Within 1 minute her milk was ready, but this only escalated the problem. For what reason, I don't know...I'd have to have the mind of a 2 year-old to understand that. So I told her that maybe she ought to go back to bed and lay there until she relaxed. She didn't protest going, she went willfully, but she never stopped the screaming and once she made it to her bed the kicking began. I choose to ignore her, afterall there is no reasoning with her at this point. She's already forgotten the reason the fit started so there is no point, and I wasn't awake enough to think of punishments.

So, what I planned on being a peaceful morning of snuggling with a happy child was not to be. Isabella woke up around 6:40am, the fit started at about 6:41am, the chocolate milk she was crying about was ready by 6:42am but she didn't even begin drinking it until 7:18am because of her impatient and emotional 2 year-old mind. If anyone can explain it to me, be my guest, I am ready and anxious to hear it!

Have a great week!

~jen

P.S. I should say that Isabella was actually very good the rest of the day. But boy does she have her moments!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing she is so dang cute! I hate to say it but sometimes I have moments where I just want to kick and scream on the kitchen floor too! All of her sweetness makes up for it I am sure! I love all the pictures you take.

Mindy said...

Well, unfortunately it's only going to get worse before it gets better. My kids did that stuff around 2 yrs. but the real fun didn't start until age 3. All I can say is she's normal. But after about 4 yrs. they're able to make deals with you and reason a little better. Good luck! It's not easy!

Caitlin said...

I would say that I can't really empathize with your situation because I haven't experienced the fits of a two-year-old first hand. But then again, sometimes husbands can be just as bad! :) Jen, your girls are so darling -- it's so great to see what you guys are up to now!

~Jen~ said...

Yes Caitlin, its true. I have 3 children and 2 of them throw fits. Natie is too young to have fits yet!

Sarah said...

Sounds like fun! I hope I don't get to that point any time soon...