Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Spring is making its debut!


It was warm enough yesterday for a picnic. Of course, the girls choose to have fettuccine alfredo, not your average picnic food.


What is spring without a little spring cleaning?
Here Natalie is getting ready to dust ceiling fans!


I've been trying to get Isabella more and more involved in house hold duties. I figure I might as well get her involved now when she thinks its fun rather than try to introduce it later. Laundry is her favorite.


After an unusually cold and snowy winter we were so excited to see that this week's forecast included all 60's. Actually it happened last week to but our excitement ended when Natalie was sick all week. But now she's feeling better and we've been able to play outside everyday and enjoy the weather change. But, with the warmer temperatures come severe thunderstorms. Until last year Isabella was completely unaware when storms would hit. Now whenever it starts to thunder she starts to get scared, and so knowing how loud and violent the spring storms can get here I am predicting many nights of Bella running into our room to sleep with us. Friday night was our first big storm of the season and sure enough she was in our bed by the second clap of thunder. We're supposed to get them again tonight as well.

Last Friday afternoon (before the storm) she asked my mom why there were clouds in the sky, so my mom told her that sometimes there are clouds because it is going to rain. We, or course, got a storm that night and she was scared so now each time she sees clouds she says, "I don't want it to rain. I don't like thunder!" So now I'm trying to come up with another reason for clouds - I haven't done well, the best I have gotten is for shade! Maybe I need to go back to school and learn about clouds.


6 comments:

Brianne said...

Ben and I have been loving this spring weather too. It's so nice to enjoy being outside! I don't know what to tell you about the thunderstorms and clouds though. Is there a reason for clouds other than rain? And shade? Good luck with all that. Cute pictures of the girls, as always!

Emily said...

A fettuccini picnic, what a delight. I thought this was adorable.

Malinda said...

I wish that we had some warm weather here. It looks like Isabella likes to help you do the laundry. Every little bit of help is worth it.

Mindy said...

My boys haven't been too scared of thunder because we try to say 'oh cool...did you hear that rumble!?' in an excited voice...instead of going 'ohhh' and dwelling on the fact that it could be scary. Just a suggestion. You could use the old reasoning that it's angels bowling when it thunders. Good luck!

-Laura- said...

Jen- We just talked a little about clouds in preschool (for the water cycle) and I had the kids watch this little story on the internet. It was pretty cute, and the kids really learned a lot about rain and clouds. Here's the site if you want Bella to watch it: http://www.kimballmedia.com/Drippy/DrippysWorldTrialStories/ToMountainsAndBack/Entry.htm

It doesn't explain thunder or lightning, but it gives a good explanation for clouds! I love the Italian style picnic! Natalie is looking so grown up! Did you guys get a cold front this weekend too?

-Laura- said...

Okay, let's try that website again...

http://www.kimballmedia.com/
Drippy/DrippysWorldTrialStories/
ToMountainsAndBack/Entry.htm