Saturday, May 29, 2010

We love visitors.

This blog needs an update. But, I have no pictures. GASP! So words will have to do.

This past Thursday I woke up tired, hot, aching all over, and with a throat that felt like it was lined with nails and made me wince every time I had to swallow. I don't think I've ever really dread swallowing so much in my life. On top of that, I was mad. I was so mad to be sick b/c MY BROTHER WAS COMING to spend a day and a half with our family. Why, out of the blue, did I have to get sick on THE DAY my brother was coming? So I loaded up on medications, took a nap while Anthony watched the kids and said numerous prayers that I would be better quick so I could enjoy my brother's visit.

By 1pm when we picked up Mike my fever had broken, but I still just hurt and my throat, well it was still lined with nails. But with the fever gone I could function. So I decided to cancel any and all plans I had that day so that I could rest and hopefully be better for the next day. Anthony insisted that we order take out for dinner so I didn't have to cook - which I gratefully let him take care of, all while  feeling bad for not providing my brother a home cooked meal (he'd been on a business trip for the past week so he'd not had one for a while). So we laid low that day, playing video games, blowing bubbles, and just talking. And I was feeling some better by the end of the night, except for the throat pain...still nails.

But thankfully on Friday I woke up with no aches, but almost no voice. But I can roll with no voice. So we headed out to the Ocean. (Have I mentioned that one of my favorite things about Florida is being so close to the beach?) We spent the morning looking for manatees (still didn't find any), getting in the water so deep the waves crashed above our heads, watching surfers, trying to catch tiny fish in the shallow parts of the water, and building sand castles just so Ethan could knock them down.

We were home for a late lunch so Ethan could nap and recharge for our night-time activities. Uncle Mike MAY have also taken a nap on the couch, but I'll never tell.

Then we headed out to Downtown Disney to walk around, get rained on (only a little), and eat sandwiches made by the Earl of Sandwich (who claims to have invented the Sandwich). Then we jumped (well, drove) to Disney Boardwalk where we watched magicians, laughed at cheesy jokes, had ice cream and watched the Epcot fireworks show from just outside the gates.

It was so much fun, and yet I haven't a picture to show for it. And while part of me is sad that I didn't take pictures all while he was here, another is glad that I didn't. I've learned recently that sometimes its okay to leave your camera at home and live the moment rather than capture it with the camera. I can get so caught up with taking the shot to capture the moment that I almost remove myself from the moment. Sometimes its better just to be there. However, this realization won't stop my picture taking obsession, that is compulsive, I HAVE to do it. It'll just keep me from panicking the next time I forget my camera.

Mike has gone home now, and we're planning on doing nothing today but rest...because my throat STILL has nails inside it, and although the aches are still gone, my voice is now completely gone, I can barely get a whisper out. My girls have had a enough fun to fill the entire weekend thanks to their Uncle Mike, they sure love him! Thanks Mike for adding a few days to your business trip so you could visit us. We'd been looking forward to it, and even a throat full of nails couldn't stop us from having fun. See you soon.

No comments: