
Anthony's sister Krystal has been in town this week. She came in on Monday so that Tuesday Anthony could be gone all day and she would watch the girls. There was a special from Southwest Airlines on flights from Dallas to Tulsa so it was really cheap for her to fly and everything worked out nicely.
So today we had the entire day with her and were trying to decide something fun and worthwhile in Tulsa that we could do. Something we could all do, and for the most part all enjoy. We wanted to go to the aquarium but the tickets are $14 + taxes plus a 40 minute drive. I think we would have all enjoyed it, but we weren't about to shell out $45 for all of us to go, even with the girls being free. So we settled on an art museum. The girls wouldn't care too much about it, but Bella likes going just about anywhere, so getting out would make her happy.
As seems typical we are always scurrying to get out the door. I wanted to go before afternoon naps and after Natalie's morning nap so we had the optimal happy time with both girls. We were shooting for 10am, but got out the door around 10:30am. Not terrible. About 10 minutes before leaving I thought to myself, "I've got to put my camera in my bag before we go."
So we leave and about 5 minutes into the drive I realize, I never put the camera in the bag. "Oh, well," I thought, "I've never been to an art museum that was worthy of taking pictures in, its not like there is going to be great picture taking opportunities, I just wanted pictures of Krystal's trip here."
Then we get there. We went to the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa. Apparently the museum is in what used to be a home, or rather a MANSION! It was owned by the Phillip's 66 owner or founder...one of the two. A big time oilman to say the least. They built this HUGE BEAUTIFUL home to raise 2 children. I haven't a clue what they did with all that space! Honestly, the room in the home that interested me the most was the room about the house itself, not the artwork. It was an amazing place.
As beautiful as I thought the inside was the outside few was completely breath taking. While in one of the rooms I noticed a door to the outside where you could exit. There was a patio/veranda/deck - I don't know what to call it, overlooking the grounds. From the inside you couldn't see anything past the patio, but once you stepped onto the patio the most beautifully landscaped garden area came into site. It is quite possibly the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life. AND I HAD NO CAMERA!!! I ALWAYS HAVE A CAMERA!
There were fountains, flowers, and pathways. It reminded me of things I've seen in movies, but this was real life. The house set tall on the top of a hill and the grounds laid out beautifully behind it. Directly underneath the patio was a large fountain which started a subtle stream down the hill in steps which led to two large pound areas with beautiful fish inside. All the while surrounded in beautifully manicured flowers and plants. This all lead to a gazebo, it was like a Monet painting in real life. Did I mention that I DIDN'T HAVE A CAMERA!
So the tiny pictures I posted are from their website and completely fail to do it justice. I want to go back, but this time WITH A CAMERA and with the girls dressed nicely to try to get some good shots. I'm always looking for a good picture! Too bad I have to pay $7 more to get something I could have gotten today!
Note to self......keep camera in purse!
~jen
2 comments:
Well, that must be a first - that you didn't have your camera on hand. I hate when that happens! The place sounds gorgeous anyway. How did Natalie do with that outing? I keep trying to think of things to do with Ben that wouldn't be too expensive or too hot to do outside. We usually just end up swimming or shopping (but not the good kind where we can actually buy stuff since we still don't have a paycheck coming in). Oh well, at least my tan is getting better :)
Natalie did alright. Not that she was interested in the art, but she likes getting out all the same. Really I think that is how most kids are at their age, they just like to be out and included.
Post a Comment